Scheduled Four-Night Closures of Exit 9 and Exit 10 Ramps on I-84 in Newtown
The Connecticut Department of Transportation is announcing scheduled ramp closures of Exit 9 and Exit 10 on I-84 east and westbound in Newtown. The closures will begin on Sunday, May 2, 2021, and last through Thursday morning, May 6, 2021.Only one ramp is to be closed at a time.
Ramps are expected to be closed each night, beginning at 8:00 PM, and will reopen at 5:00 AM the following morning. The closures and detours are necessary to facilitate construction activities, and all work is weather dependent.
I-84 Westbound Exit 9 Detour:
- Westbound Exit 9 off-ramp: Take exit 8 and follow signs to I-84 EB to detour.
- Westbound Exit 9 on-ramp: Follow Route 25 to Route 6 to detour.
I-84 Westbound Exit 10 Detour:
- Westbound Exit 10 off-ramp: Take exit 9 and follow signs to Route 25 to Route 6 to detour.
- Westbound Exit 10 on-ramp: Follow detour Route 6 to Route 25 to I-84 WB.
I-84 Eastbound Exit 9 Detour:
- Eastbound Exit 9 off-ramp: Take exit 11 follow Route 6 detour.
- Eastbound Exit 9 on-ramp: Follow Route 25 to Route 34 detour to exit 11.
I-84 Eastbound Exit 10 Detour:
- Eastbound Exit 10 off-ramp: Take exit 11 follow Route 6 detour.
- Eastbound Exit 10 on-ramp: Follow Route 6 to Route 34 detour to exit 11.
Motorists are advised to remain alert, drive cautiously, and to maintain a safe speed when driving in this vicinity.
The ramp closures are associated with Project 0096-0200, consisting of the rehabilitation of bridges on or over I-84 east and westbound (bridges 00897, 00898, 00505, 01206, 01207, 01208, 01210, 01211, 01212, 01213, and 01214) as well as safety improvements on I-84 east and westbound in Newtown. The project will require multiple stages for construction operations.
Project 0096-0200 was awarded to Waters Construction Co. Inc. at a cost of $23,737,867.49 on January 3, 2019, and is scheduled to be completed September 2021.